Sunday, March 02, 2008

Day 62: The stars belong to a new generation

I think I've mentioned before my awe and love of the space program. And I know I've mentioned what a dork I am. Actually, I may not have explicitly mentioned it as much as it is abundantly clear in pretty much every post. So what's better than putting the two together in my most favorite 80s space dramatic adventure motion picture: Space Camp, which I watched on DVD today.
This is a new thing because I've only ever seen this mega-classic on our old, recorded-off-HBO VHS. I've never seen it with such a crisp picture, with all its special effects in such rich detail. (Ok, yes, that is dripping with sarcasm. But I do truly LOVE this movie.)

Ever since the advent of DVD, I've been able to divide my moves into a bit of a hierarchy:
1. Those you have on VHS, but replace with DVD. (Breakfast at Tiffany's, Titanic)
2. Those under-rated gems that you always loved but never owned, and buy directly on DVD. (George of the Jungle, Weekend at Bernie's.)
3. Those you will only buy on VHS, from the $3 bin, and forever deny their existence in your collection. (Dumb and Dumber, Winning London)

Now I can put "Space Camp" on the #1 list, because it is that good. Tate Donovan before "The OC." Lea Thompson after she went "Back to the Future." (And maybe before too, not sure of the dates.) Kelly Preston before the Scientologists. And, of course, Joaquin Phoenex, walking in space before he walked the line. (Oh yes, I went there.)

Get this movie. So that when I say, "Max and Jinx. Friends, for-ev-er," to you, you will back away slowly out of awe, not fear.

1 comment:

  1. I love Space Camp too... Could careless about space but would love to see a shuttle launch before they get rid of them.

    Anyway. GO HEELS!!!!!!
    Love Aunt Amee

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails