Last Thursday I saw Barack Stars, a show currently playing in DC and performed by Chicago's Second City comedy troupe. The show satirizes the current administration and other hot political topics. I was holding out since I've seen so many shows lately but I broke down, as I knew I would. (And a segment done by BBC America news last week really cemented me shelling out for the ticket before I got paid. I knew I'd done the right thing when a line from the show referred to the "BBC as the best news in the USA." It was a sign!)
I love smart political satire and you can't go wrong with features such as a:
- Duet between Ann Coulter and a Rush Limbaugh
- Dirty Dancing re-enactment
- "Teeny, tiny, terrifying" chief of staff threatening to eat Sarah Palin's glasses
- Song with the refrain of "Glenn Beck is fucking insane"
- Skit featuring a change in military policy from "don't ask, don't tell" to "don't leave!" as a result of a desperate need for troops
(Note: The graphic isn't from the show, just what came up when I googled trying to find the BBC link. It made me laugh.)