Sunday, April 01, 2012

Kind of Famous

I use the website Goodreads to track the books I read. Right now I've added almost 300 books read over the last six years.


It's perfect because I can have multiple shelves and categories, as well as "friends." My book club all signed up for it so we can track what each other's reading, and I've connected it with other friends, too.

Recently I read the utterly amazing and un-put-downable "Duke Sucks," a must-read for any Tar Heel fan and/or Duke hater.


I rate all read books with 1 to 5 stars, and occasionally I'll add a written review. In the case of this book, this is what I wrote:


Last week I logged on to the site and saw that a former co-worker had added me as a friend. No problem. Then when I got on Facebook later that night, he had sent me a message:

This is pretty ridiculous...but I heard the author of Duke Sucks interviewed on the morning sports talk show I listen to. At the end of the segment, one of the hosts casually mentioned a comment by Bonnie on Goodreads that it was the best book ever. I thought, "Maybe that's the Bonnie I know." Just remembered to look it up, and sure enough...

Yes, my three-word book review of a book with the title "sucks" in it was quoted on a radio show. I'M SO FAMOUS NOW.

However, a little perturbed at the fact that I have nearly 300 books listed and that's the book and the review that gets me acknowledged! I've written reviews that were far more eloquent, or that at the very least contained complete sentences, like this one of my favorite book of 2011 and the National Book Award Winner, "Just Kids":


Oh well, that's life, specifically, that's my life. And some days I can't believe just how small this world is. Or at least, how incredibly over-connected I am to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails