Monday, September 25, 2006

First week of work = dead tired. I am just not cut out for a 9 – 6 day, it’s completely unnatural. I’m beginning to learn my way around the office, remember some of the names, hit the right buttons on the phone. I haven’t hung up on anyone or transferred anyone to the wrong person, like I did a lot of this summer, especially the hanging up part, so that’s good. It’s still hard some days because I feel like I should be doing more, but I know it’s not forever. A hard part is remembering names, since I’m terrible at that, and getting people to tell me their names when they say stuff like, “Leaving for a bit, let so and so know.” First, I don’t know who you are, I don’t know who so and so is, and I don’t think so and so is going to understand who I’m talking about when I say the guy in the striped shirt and perfectly creased pants just left. (Sidenote: Seriously, how do people get their pants creased so perfectly? Is there some trick no one’s ever told me because I can never get it right.) Other than that, it’s a lot of small stuff to remember and get done that will take time, and since I am not exactly known for my patience, it’s frustrating.

Took pictures of the flat just have to get them uploaded. Will do soon.

Sunday I finally made it out to a church, the American Church in London. It’s American style of worship, with a lot of Americans in attendance, but also has quite a few British people and other internationals. I really really liked it there and will definitely be going back. And file this under it really is a small world. The associate pastor, who came and introduced himself before the service, went to Duke Divinity and knows someone I know from BSU. He also worked at a church in Chapel Hill that I went to once, and I am almost certain I met him there. The reason I think this is today, before he came up,I thought, “Hey, that guy looks like Eric Montross.” and I remember thinking that the time before. I stayed after the service as they happened to be having a newcomers lunch, got some free chicken and potatoes and bread, and met some nice people. There were also two British teenaged girls who were completely enamored of me and this other girl because we are American. They asked us all these questions, about if the stuff they see in the movies is true, like about prom, big houses, and high heels. And they loved our accents, which is so weird. It was so cute and I told them to see me next weekend if they had anymore questions.

This week I have been struck more than anything, yet again, by British food. Sometimes I feel like it all might as well be in another language when I’m shopping and I have the hardest time finding exactly what I want. Some random observations (that may apply just to my local supermarket, Somerfields):
-They have a whole section of shelves for varieties of mayonnaise, but only ONE kind of mustard. ONE. And it’s not French’s.
-Fish is everywhere. Maybe it’s like that in the states and I just never really noticed, but here I definitely noticed when in my fruitless (and in vain, I know,) search for pizza rolls left me empty-handed.
-They have chicken nuggets marketed as “Southern-fried.” Unless the southern UK is known for their chicken frying talents, which they very well may be, I can’t help but smile. Though I have not been brave enough to try it yet.
-I can buy a thing of spaghetti for 17p. That’s just awesome. And it’s good.
-I just realized I have yet to buy any Nutella and that is just a travesty.

So yes, right now I really am missing American food. But the plentiful and free biscuits (biscuits=cookies) at work help ease the pain. But really, I eat way too many, but who can resist free McVitties or Kit Kats?

1 comment:

  1. BONNIE!!!! You need to eat better!!! You will never fit into Audrey's dress eating soooo many biscuits!! Pizza rolls WTF!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails