Saturday, September 23, 2006

"I've got to do something about the way I look. I mean a girl just can't go to Sing Sing with a green face."

I know I am due a long, detailed post, and I swear I will do it soon. But I am taking advantage of the fact that there is free wireless internet in the green space outside my flat, which I had to find by walking around moving my computer around while some tourists hogging the bench stared at me, to write about two completely random things that barely have anything to do with London.

But today I saw, with my own two eyes, a foot away from me, AUDREY'S LITTLE BLACK DRESS FROM BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS!!!! The very dress that Jan and I argued over who could bid on. (No worries, it's expected to go for something like 30,000 pounds? Or more.) And also no worries, Jan, because neither of us could fit our thigh in that dress it's so tiny.

The story: I saw on TimeOut London that Christies is auctioning off a huge lot of Barbie dolls, and that the public could view them this weekend. So I, being a perpetual child-at-heart when it comes to Barbie dolls, set out to South Kensington to find them. And I did. And oh my gosh there were so many! I even saw an original 1954 first Barbie in the black and white striped bathing suit. They had a room full of post-80s Barbies still in the boxes, many of which I own. They even had "The Rockers" Barbies, which were my favorite, but that I no longer have thanks to a certain younger brother with an affinity for pulling their heads and arms off. In short: it made me really happy today seeing all of this stuff, though it would have been even better if Mom was here because she's the reason I love them so much and I know she probably owned half of them. So I missed you more today Mom than any other day. :-( Ok, so now everyone knows I am a Barbie fiend. On to one of my other obsessions: Audrey.

After being in awe of all the Barbies, I turn a corner and see a black dress out of the corner of my eye, surrounded by vintage Audrey movie posters. As I got closer I saw that it was THE dress, from the opening scene of Breakfast where she's outside of Tiffany's eating her scone and coffee, still in her tiara and pearls. Sigh, I will be watching this movie tonite. I'm pretty sure my eyes bugged out of my head and I actually thought I was going ot cry. I wanted to touch it so bad, but I think even the stuffy Christies people probably would have tackled me for that. And there it was, just as perfect and pristine as it must have been 40 years ago. It would have fit me in height, I think, but certainly not in any other way, she truly was a tiny tiny woman.

1 comment:

  1. I am insanely jealous of you tonight. I mean on a scale of 1-10 my jealous is approaching 75. Your coolness overwhelms me. Glad your flat, job, life in a foreign city seems to be going well. I've been slack about keeping up with the posts but I'm getting better I promise. Speaking of Audrey... I hope in Britain they don't have the horrendous Gap commercial that completely butchers a scene from funny face. I shudder to think of it. Audrey would not approve. Have a great week!

    P.S. I'm beginning to realize how inconvenient our two time zones are... 8 hours different is just to enough to make it nearly impossible to actually "talk" (as in via gmail chat or aim). This deeply saddens me. I miss you terribly. Again happy Monday. Cheers love!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails