Sunday, September 17, 2006

"There wasn't an F name in the Bible, so they named him Frankincense, because he smelled so sweet."

I was a little lazy this weekend, but it felt good. I figure it’s good to be out, even if just sitting and relaxing, while it’s warm and I still can. So after a few errands Saturday morning, Marissa and I set out for Victoria to try and get tickets for “Wicked.” It was a long walk, the length of Hyde Park and then some, but it was good to see different areas and just see more of the city in general. We passed the famous Dorchester Hotel, though we didn’t see any famous people around it. We walked the Park Lane area near Hyde Park, which is a really nice area. We weren’t able to get tickets for that night’s how, but we did get them for Sept. 28. I hate having to wait that long but they were cheap and I know it will be worth it. Or at least it better be or it’s Karey’s fault.

And because I apparently forgot I don’t get paid for another week, I went and saw another show anyway – “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.” I couldn’t count how many times I’ve seen this movie, and I was really excited to see it on stage. It was only ok, I’ve seen better and I’ve seen worse. Parts of it were just like I wanted it to be, and others fell short. Especially the accents! Who knew that settlers in 1850s Oregon had combination bad Southern/British/Irish/Cockney/and maybe Scottish accents. The actors kept slipping into their real voices, or using a terrible Southern-type accent I highly doubt was in the west at this time, and it made it really hard to identify with the characters. They also didn’t have my favorite part of the movie in it – where they all dance at the barn building. They had them dance at a social, but it wasn’t the same. They also cut out the part where the girls dance in their room about being spring/summer/June brides. They did however add a song - that was terrible. I zoned out during it and just stared at all the pretty gold in the theatre. My favorite character in the movie aside from the two leads is Gideon, and this Gideon was pretty good. He was a trained ballet dancer though, and it showed when he’d start doing these pirouette things that just didn’t fit with the rest of the dancers. This is my long-winded way of saying I liked the show, it wasn’t a terrible waste of money, but I’ll take the movie any day.

Now today I’m thinking of just going to Regent’s or Hyde Park for some people-watching and reading. It’s nice out and I really do want to take advantage of it before it gets bed. Pictures of the flat and such will probably come next week. We are still trying to get it all in order and I want to wait to take pictures.

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I just want to state that you have heard my Wicked review and your purchase was solely your choice! ;) I think you will like it. It's quite a production, and Idina is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails