Saturday, September 09, 2006

First weekend in London and I'm too exhausted to enjoy it. But I guess it's a good exhausted as everything appears to be working out. Got a job, roommate, and flat, all within a matter of days. It has happened a lot faster than I ever thought it would, and I just hope that I've made all the right decisions and that everything will work out. Nothing in my life ever works like clockwork so I'm not expecting this too, I just hope it doesn't all come crashing down right away.

First, the job. I will be working at an architecture/interior design firm. Mom looked it up and said it's one of the premier resort design firms in the world, with offices everywhere. I will be a receptionist and junior administration assistant, alternating days between the two. Answering phones one day, and then running around doing whatever they want the next. I don't know how this will ever help me in my future as a journalist, and less Anderson Cooper calls and wants me to run around for him, and then, well...

The roommate. I met her at BUNAC one day and we just decided to live together. She's a journalism major as well, and is from New Hampshire. She says wicked a lot and has a slight accent, but is nice. (And she lives about 40 minutes from Boston so her accent could be a lot worse.) This is for you Karey: the first thing I thought when she said she was from New Hampshire was "Ooh, that's where President Bartlett is from." I didn't say it though. Oh, and I also want to ask if their maple syrup really is better than Vermonts, as the Pres says. (Was it maple syrup or their cheese being better than Wisconsin? I don't know, I should just e-mail you this.)


We went through an agency to find a flat, because on top of job hunting and dealing with hostel-living it was just too much trying to sort it all out. So we are in Paddington Green, across from the Edgware Road tube station. It's 15 minutes to Hyde Park, about the same to Regent's Park, 15-20 to Oxford St, and also close to Marylebone (sp). It's an interesting area because one street can be so different from the next. We asked around the area to check for safety, and even interviewed a police officer, and everyone thought we would be fine, just to hold on to our bags, as everyone says anywhere. And the good thing is he only required two weeks deposit and two weeks rent, plus if we are unhappy at all we just give two weeks notice and he can even possibly help us find a different place. We're sharing a room in a flat with three other people. There's no living room, which we hope won't be a problem, but there is a nice and modern kitchen and a nice big bathroom.

The room has two beds, a couch, a table, two wardrobes, a chest of drawers, a fireplace, and a tv with satellite. All bills are included and he said he could get us internet if we pay a little more a month, but we'll see since I found a really cheap internet place and I should have it at work. I'm just praying that it will work out and we'll be happy there. I got a good feeling from the place when we saw it, so let's just hope the feeling stays.

Tomorrow I hope to finally be able to do something fun. Actually see the city that I'm living in without constantly worrying about everything. And finish a meal without getting nauseous from worry.

Hopefully this will satisfy everyone that has been telling me I need to be more detailed (coughJoeyMomcough). I swear I'm reading everyone's e-mails and will respond ASAP, so just keep sending them!

2 comments:

  1. The job sounds oh so Devil wears Prada....lets hope not...but i'm getting a very clear image of you tripping and spilling the bosses coffee looking up and there he/she is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you are right in saying it was Vermont maple syrup. (However, it is an accessory to a breakfast food, so it's of little consequence anyway).

    Congrats on the flat! You'll have to send us pictures once you move in.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails