Saturday, September 16, 2006

I wrote this entry on the couch in my flat, after finally being brave enough to plug my laptop in. I just knew considering all that Javier and I have been through, he was going to blow up or start smoking, just to spite me. But so far so good. (Knock on wood.)

Day two of work on Friday. I hope I get used to the hours quickly because as of now I am ready for bed the second I walk through the door. The job really is just basic, boring stuff, Mom said I don’t write enough but that’s all I have for now. It will be a lot of running around on the days I’m not at reception, and a lot of just doing whatever you’re told. It’s a lot of random, little things that have to be done, which can get daunting, but they seem like they’ll be pretty patient until we get the hang of things.

We organized a bunch of books and brochures today at work, once again letting me put my three years of library work and a lifetime of organizing skills to use. The brochures were for these amazing hotels, resorts and spas around the world. Bali, Bora Bora, Seychelles, Bangkok, Phuket, Mauritius, and more, places I never would even think of. The hotels are unbelievably gorgeous and make me just want to go, go, go. I even looked at a magazine called “Carolina Architecture,” which I immediately grabbed and was glad to see it refered to “my” Carolina. (And some of South too, bleh.) It had some amazing homes in Asheville and Hickory though.

We are still in the process of making our flat more like a home. The Woolworth’s near us has become our friend. I find it funny that I had never set foot in a Woolworth’s until moving here, but I’ve been three times already in the last three days. I would kill for a Target right now though – oh gosh I really miss Target. I’m starting to miss the strangest thing – grits, Anderson, the smell of my room. But oh the grits. I had to try and explain them to Marissa today, because she’s never had them! Gasp! I didn’t even know where to begin. I was just like “They’re grits. They’re good. They’re…grits.” Since I like to fancy myself some sort of writer, I am going to challenge myself come up with a better description. And of course if someone would like to send me some to assist in my efforts, well, they would not go un-appreciated.

I bought towels today at Marks and Spencer, I know, I live a fascinating big city life. But they make me happy because they are hot pink, and I’ve never had hot pink towels before. I was going to be practical and get green ones in case I take them home so they’ll match, but I figured I’m in London and every girl should have hot pink towels at least once in her life. And they certainly beat my Europe towel I bought in Germany last year, that really is only slightly larger than a hand towel and doesn’t even wrap completely around my body.

Finally, I have decided one aspect of my personal hell would be having to walk down a street full of wonderful clothing stores, day after day, and not being able to buy anything in them. This is what it is like to work on Oxford Street in London. Hell. Full of houndstooth coats and smart blouses and cute skirts and pretty shoes.

1 comment:

  1. Whatever you decide to write about describing grits (where is this girl from again????) please be sure to mention......they get salt and butter......NO SUGAR. Under no circumstances is sugar an acceptable condiment for good grits.

    I agree about the hell part. I am seeing images of Shopaholic as I read your blog. The shoes would just about kill me I think!

    Love you

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails