Monday, April 21, 2008

Day 112: Got air?

I tend to lump paper airplanes in the same category as paper football: it's a waste of paper. Want to play football, play football! Want to fly a fake airplane, spring for one of those nifty glider ones for $1 that are great Easter basket gifts.

But The Daring Book for Girls provided instructions for the "Coolest Paper Airplane Ever," so that's what I made.
No, your eyes do not decieve you. That is an airplane. I got to the end of the directions and thought I was missing a page, but that's it. So I followed the directions on flying it, flicking my wrist and fingers while not letting them bend downward and let it fly...and then tragically crash into my bed, the wall, and then the floor. (No survivors, sadly, from Aerolina Air Flight 34.)

But it did fly. Surprisingly well for a cylinder of printer paper. The book describes how this is possible, with fancy words like "drag" and "lift," but I haven't done Physics since senior year so that's not important.

But I will say that after the NTSB lets Aerolina Air fly again, we will NOT be charging $25 to check a second bag. (Thanks, US Air.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails