Thursday, May 08, 2008

Day 129: Bad bad bad

If only all new things could be light and fluffy and inconsequential to my life. As pretty much all of them have been. But today I realized I was part of a credit card scam, a very not good, but still new, thing.

When I bought flowers from FTD.com, I got a pop-up at the end asking if I wanted a $20 coupon for my next purchase on FTD. I, of course, clicked yes, and that was it, they said I'd get an email. Which I did, from Reservation Rewards, which I just assumed was the name of FTD's reward program, which every web site seems to have now. Neither the pop-up, nor the email, mentioned that it cost money to enroll in this program.

But when I checked my bank account online, there was a $1 charge from this Reservation Rewards. I did some research and found this blog entry, with dozens of comments from people who fell into the same trap, from varying web sites, only they were charged $10-$12 a month, some of them for a year before they realized it.

I called the company, who knew my address, email, and credit card information, and told them to cancel it and refund me the $1, and to not charge me anything else. There is a class action lawsuit against them in Connecticut, so I cancelled my debit card too, just in case.

I shop online a lot, and am very careful. At first I felt stupid for falling for this, but it just looked like a part of FTD's site, and having never used the site, I thought it was normal. Just a warning to all who shop online to stay away from Reservation Rewards.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bonnie:

    Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted here about our membership program, Reservation Rewards.

    We're glad that our Customer Service department was able to assist you in cancelling the membership as you wanted. However, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns about the disclosure of the membership charges but we don't know who you are.

    Please contact us at 1-800-732-7031 or via email at consumeraffairs@webloyalty.com and we will be happy to assist you.

    Regards,
    Mary O'Reilly
    Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
    Reservation Rewards

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails