Friday, August 08, 2008

Day 221: After a long, arduous, boring four-year wait...

...they are here! The Olympics are here! (As is a certain Aunt's birthday. Happy b-day Shannon!)

Of all the obsessions I write about in this blog, this is one of my oldest and fiercest loves. So proud am I of my Olympic devotion, I don't even call it a nerdy obsession. It's not nerdy or dorky, it's AWESOME. To kick off this year's Olympic season, my fellow Olympic fiend friend, Elizabeth, came over. I provided "international" appetizers for a mini-Olympic party as we watched the Opening Ceremonies. I tired to represent every continent, even if my interpretation of their food was often quite loose. It was still fun and a great way to kick off the next two week!

USA cookies, which prompted one of my favorite quotes of the night, from E: "I don't want to eat the 'Bronze' one, I feel like it won't be as good." My cookies, complete with USA, medals (G, S, B) and favorite events. And yes, that is an interlocking NC for UNC in the corner. Lots of alums in the games, after all!

The spread, as follows:
United Kingdom: English toffee
Brazil: Chips and salsa
China: Chinese noodles and mixed vegetables
Switzerland: Swiss cheese spread
Greece: Olives
Iraq: Hummus and pita bread
USA: Cookies
South Africa: Wine
Australia: Shrimp (on the barbie) (Not pictured because I didn't make it for fear of making too much. But considering all the food and the fact that it was just the two of us, we still devoured quite a lot, and probably could have handled the shrimp too.)

Elizabeth posing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails