Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dy 267: I fought the law...

I remember this great show on NBC called Something So Right, with Mel Harris and Jere Burns. They get married, try to blend their lives, kids, exes, etc., and hilarity ensues, of course. One episode the daughter comes home and says, "Guess who's pregnant?," and the Dad flips out. Then the son comes home and says, "Guess who's pregnant?," and the Mom freaks out. So they all agree next time to say, "I'm not pregnant, but guess who is?"*

That's a roundabout way of saying I didn't commit a felony or witness a crime, but I got stopped by a cop today.

Leaving the metro, iPod in, distracted by a hectic work day, I realize a cop is making eye contact with me. Important to note that:
  • I am not wearing my jeans with potential exposure issues.
  • I am not carrying a to-go cup of margarita.
  • I did not jaywalk, most shockingly of all.

So I stop and he introduces himself as my neighborhood cop, with a "footbeat" encompassing several blocks around my apartment. I got scared when he knew which apartment was mine, but that's his job, and he said he's seen me in the mornings. And he talked to the roommate on move-in day.

I'm sure he got suspicious, however, when the color drained from my face and my voice shook at first, because I was afraid something had happened at the apartment, but he seems like a nice guy. And, I mean, it can't hurt to have a cop on your side. (Ignoring the movies and songs that try to persuade us otherwise.)

*Later on, the joke continues with the daughter saying, "I didn't throw up at school today, but guess who did?" Oh well, I thought it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails