Friday, December 05, 2008

Day 340: "Peace, with all the world is my sincere wish." (Washington)

Today was the start of a busy, Christmas fun filled weekend as Mom and Melissa came up to do some shopping and sightseeing. We started by taking a candlelight tour of Mount Vernon, my first trip to Washington's humble abode. (And by humble abode I mean freaking awesome mansion right on the water with grounds galore.)

It truly was a candlelight tour, along the grounds, with actors in historical garb dotting the path. We got cider and ginger cookies by a fire surrounded by colonial townspeople gossiping, before making our way in to the main house. Mrs. Washington told us tales of Christmases past, and complimented me on my red coat. (Which I think says a lot as a number of red coats in the past shot at her husband.) We saw the room where Lafayette slept and a little camel. We had the most disgusting meal ever described to us, consisting of turkey, chicken, pigeon (?), and one other fowl fowl. We saw the stunning view of the river and spent way too long in the gift shop. Definitely worth the price and the cold, and I hope to go back and see it during the day soon.

Being greeted by the Washingtons in the welcome center:
Back view of a model of the house:
One of many trees:
My favorite, which I also kind of matched:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails