Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 354: Twas the night before Christmas...

"Dance of the sugarplum fairy." "While visions of sugarplums dance in their head." Words I've said or read or sung for years, but never knowing exactly what a sugarplum was. I just assumed it was an old-fashioned sugary candy, popular with Victorians and the like. But tonite I read a recipe for, and discovered exactly what, a sugarplum is.
Sugarplums
3/4 c whole almonds or pistachios
1/2 c each finely chopped dried figs, dates, apricots
3 TB orange liqueur or orange juice
2 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves

Orange zest, almonds, dried figs, dates, and apricots? It's not a candy, it's granola! I feel so betrayed. All these years I think I subconsciously pictured cotton candy covered chocolate with sprinkles, and really, they were organic "treats" before they even knew what organic was! Did a dentist have a hand in this? Or a health food nut?

I feel like a little bit of my childhood is gone. Like when I realized Piglet was a boy or that Bambi's mother wasn't coming back. I think I may have to start substituting "sugarplum" for something a bit more inspiring next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails