Saturday, December 06, 2008

Day 341: Great Scot!

A large reason that the fam chose this weekend to come up was the Scottish Christmas parade being held in Old Town Alexandria as part of the annual Scottish Christmas Walk weekend. It has been two years since Mom and I went to Edinburgh and its environs, and we've missed it a bit. Thus the opportunity to hear bagpipers and see a dozen breeds of Scottish dogs, could not be missed. Thus I went to my first Scottish parade in Alexandria.

Despite the freezing numbness that consumed our bodies, it was a great parade. And a pretty big deal considering the number of Virginia politicians and (Scottish) clansmen from across the country. And of course, Alexandria-born Willard Scott, and two kilt-clad, UNC hat wearing and loving Tar Heels, that were the only ones to give us candy. (Next time, we will rent a kid and then steal its candy.)

Grand Marshall Willard Scott:
I want their socks:Cutest picture ever:
Scottish people are tall:One of a bajillion beautiful dogs:
Bagpipers:They carry swords. I think since my first name is Scottish, I should get to carry a sword in the next parade.

We also visited the newly renovated National Museum of History. This is my favorite DC museum, and though a bit disappointing, I have hopes that once all the exhibits open and the crowd dwindles down, I will love it again.

Outside Star Spangled Banner exhibit:
A button I liked:
I happened to have bought a miniature of this the night before at Mount Vernon:Barbie! And who Mom and Melissa claim is GI Joe, but who I think is Fidel Castro. (As I told them, of course Barbie's a communist. No one could get that many clothes in a free market economy. Though Melissa is correct, she had a lot of jobs.)
And finally, we ate at the Elephant and Castle pub on Pennsylvania. I've been eyeing this for awhile as it's also the name of London Tube stop, and it was a good choice. Best hot spinach artichoke dip ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails